* BUG - ox-latex - bib expansion bug and documentation error
@ 2019-07-10 17:32 Guilherme Passos
From: Guilherme Passos @ 2019-07-10 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

In ox-latex.el, line 1189, org-latex-pdf-process uses '(%bib %b) for expanding the bibliography. However, this incorrectly expands as '(BIBFILEib BIBFILE), instead of '(BIBPROCESS BIBFILE) as intended, defining the process of calling the bibliography.

As can be seen in line 3635, the correct command for the bibprocess is %B, not %bib.
The documentation is also wrong in lines 1137 and 1160 for saying that %bib is the correct command.

The only thing necessary is to replace %bib with %B in those lines.
See lines: 1137, 1160, 1189

Should I send a patch?

Best,
Guilherme

* Re: BUG - ox-latex - bib expansion bug and documentation error
@ 2019-07-11  4:07 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2019-07-11  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guilherme Passos, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Guilherme,

Guilherme Passos <gpp_92@hotmail.com> writes:

> In ox-latex.el, line 1189, org-latex-pdf-process uses '(%bib %b) for
> expanding the bibliography. However, this incorrectly expands as
> '(BIBFILEib BIBFILE), instead of '(BIBPROCESS BIBFILE) as intended,
> defining the process of calling the bibliography.
>
> As can be seen in line 3635, the correct command for the bibprocess is
> %B, not %bib.  The documentation is also wrong in lines 1137 and 1160
> for saying that %bib is the correct command.

I don't use ox-latex.el and may be missing something, but looking at the
code I think %bib, as described by the docstring of
org-latex-pdf-process, is intended.

When %bib was added in 74da3bc10 (ox-latex: Support arbitrary
bibtex-like program, 2015-07-08), it appears that it was working as
documented.  But with the switch to using format-spec internally in
f6187deca (ox-latex: Small refactor, 2015-09-13), the field was changed
from %bib to %bibtex.  Based on the commit message, I don't think that
was intentional.

> The only thing necessary is to replace %bib with %B in those lines.

Given the situation I described above, I think the options are

  * change %bib to %B (your suggestion) and remove the "bib" part from
    the regexp in org-latex-compile because keeping it around would be
    confusing

  * update the documentation and type in org-latex-pdf-process to use
    %bibtex

  * update the regexp in org-latex-compile to match "bib", not "bibtex"

The last one seems preferable to me, assuming the change from %bib to
%bibtex was an oversight.  What do you think?

> Should I send a patch?

Yes, please.

--
Kyle