* "Which function for creating the link?
@ 2017-03-02 11:38 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-03-02 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

When I try to open some messages[1] the minibuffer pops up asking
orglist
"Which function for creating the link?

And offers org-mairix-store-gnus-link

Which I don't want. How can I stop this annoying behavior, because
mairix links seem not to work for me.

BTW, 3 message of mine did not arrive in the list, via gmane this is why
I try it writing directly to the list.

Uwe Brauer

Footnotes:
[1]  but not all

* Re: "Which function for creating the link?
       [not found] <97aef9c09931431a8f71427e73567741@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2017-03-02 12:19 ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]   ` <0ad9ff963915495a8a3923603db96aac@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-03-02 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday,  2 Mar 2017 at 11:38, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hi
>
> When I try to open some messages[1] the minibuffer pops up asking
> orglist
> "Which function for creating the link?

Maybe give a bit more context?  What messages?  How is this related to
org?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50.1, Org release_9.0.4-242-g2c27b8

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: "Which function for creating the link?
@ 2017-03-02 13:20   ` Uwe Brauer
       [not found]   ` <0ad9ff963915495a8a3923603db96aac@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-03-02 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Eric" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

    > On Thursday,  2 Mar 2017 at 11:38, Uwe Brauer wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> When I try to open some messages[1] the minibuffer pops up asking
    >> orglist
    >> "Which function for creating the link?

    > Maybe give a bit more context?  What messages?  How is this related to
    > org?

Hm I am using gnus.
For example your message which I read via gmane in the newsgroup
gmane.emacs.orgmode

I hit enter or space, which I always do in order to read message via
gnus and again the minibuffer poped up with this question. I searched my
elpa archive and the only place where such a question is asked is in

(defun org-store-link

Now I don't understand why this function is called nor do I understand
why this question is asked without having set any variable.
Hm I have to search my init files,

Ok found it

(add-hook 'gnus-select-article-hook 'my-org-store-link-simple)

(defun my-org-store-link-simple ()
  "Translate TeX commands to png generated by org-preview-latex-fragment
into overlays or extents."
  (interactive)
    (call-interactively 'org-store-link))

But the funny part is: if I call org-store-link
directly, *no* question is asked about mairix,

So what do I have to do to get rid of the question, could
org-gnus-prefer-web-links be the culprit?
org-gnus-prefer-web-links is a variable defined in ‘org-gnus.el’.
Its value is t

Hm I debugged org-store-link, which was a considerable ordeal, and it
seems it is this

org-store-link-functions is a variable defined in ‘org.el’.
Its value is

(org-mairix-store-gnus-link org-rmail-store-link org-mhe-store-link
org-irc-store-link org-info-store-link org-gnus-store-link
org-docview-store-link org-bibtex-store-link org-bbdb-store-link
org-w3m-store-link)

And org-store link takes the first entry. I prefer him to take
org-gnus-store-link instead, how can I do this??

I have the feeling that this is relatively new (say from 2016).

Regards

Uwe Brauer

@ 2017-03-02 14:24     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-03-02 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday,  2 Mar 2017 at 13:20, Uwe Brauer wrote:

[...]

> Hm I am using gnus.

[...]

> (add-hook 'gnus-select-article-hook 'my-org-store-link-simple)

Ah, okay, now makes sense.  Unfortunately, I cannot help with
this.  Hopefully others on the list can.

--

@ 2017-03-02 16:01     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2017-03-02 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> org-store-link-functions is a variable defined in ‘org.el’.
> Its value is
>

> (org-mairix-store-gnus-link org-rmail-store-link org-mhe-store-link
> org-irc-store-link org-info-store-link org-gnus-store-link
> org-docview-store-link org-bibtex-store-link org-bbdb-store-link
> org-w3m-store-link)
>
> And org-store link takes the first entry. I prefer him to take
> org-gnus-store-link instead, how can I do this??

You are probably either loading explicitly org-mairix (from contrib)
or requiring 'org-mairix (explicitly or implicitly).

Try

   emacs -q -l /path/to/minimal.el

and evaluate

  (org-store-link-functions)

The returned list should not contain org-mairix-store-gnus-link.

Then

  (load-file "/path/to/org-mode/contrib/lisp/org-mairix.el")

and evaluate

  (org-store-link-functions)

The returned list will now contain org-mairix-store-gnus-link.

If you cannot find the place where org-mairix gets loaded (e.g with
find and grep), by using this method, you could bisect through your
init files to find it.

> I have the feeling that this is relatively new (say from 2016).

I don't know why you are seeing it now, but I don't think anything
has changed in the mairix space for years.

--
Nick

* Re: "Which function for creating the link?
@ 2017-03-02 16:11       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-03-02 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Nick" == Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> org-store-link-functions is a variable defined in ‘org.el’.
   >> Its value is
   >>

   >> (org-mairix-store-gnus-link org-rmail-store-link org-mhe-store-link
   >> org-irc-store-link org-info-store-link org-gnus-store-link
   >> org-docview-store-link org-bibtex-store-link org-bbdb-store-link
   >> org-w3m-store-link)
   >>
   >> And org-store link takes the first entry. I prefer him to take
   >> org-gnus-store-link instead, how can I do this??
   >>

   > You are probably either loading explicitly org-mairix (from contrib)
   > or requiring 'org-mairix (explicitly or implicitly).

That is my feeling too, but I greped org-mairix in all my lisp files,
and found nothing.

   > Try

   >    emacs -q -l /path/to/minimal.el

I am not sure what minimal.el is supposed to be, but
emacs -q I might try.

   > and evaluate

   >   (org-store-link-functions)

   > The returned list should not contain org-mairix-store-gnus-link.

   > Then

   >   (load-file "/path/to/org-mode/contrib/lisp/org-mairix.el")

   > and evaluate

   >   (org-store-link-functions)

   > The returned list will now contain org-mairix-store-gnus-link.

   > If you cannot find the place where org-mairix gets loaded (e.g with
   > find and grep), by using this method, you could bisect through your
   > init files to find it.

Yeah I was hoping to avoid this, but maybe I have to do it sigh.

   >> I have the feeling that this is relatively new (say from 2016).

   > I don't know why you are seeing it now, but I don't think anything
   > has changed in the mairix space for years.

Yes but there is a change proposed by John Kitchin which makes my suspicious

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2016-07/msg00047.html

Uwe

* Re: "Which function for creating the link?
@ 2017-03-02 16:23       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-03-02 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

    > You are probably either loading explicitly org-mairix (from contrib)
    > or requiring 'org-mairix (explicitly or implicitly).

I think I found the culprit, I started emacs -q and the
variable org-store-link-functions did not contain
org-mairix-store-gnus-link.

However when I loaded gnorb, org-store-link-functions
*did* contain org-mairix-store-gnus-link.

@Eric what do you say?

I briefly scanned the code but cannot find why
org-mairix-store-gnus-link is put into the list

Uwe

* Re: "Which function for creating the link?
@ 2017-03-02 17:46         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-03-02 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>     > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>     > You are probably either loading explicitly org-mairix (from contrib)
>     > or requiring 'org-mairix (explicitly or implicitly).
>
> I think I found the culprit, I started emacs -q and the
> variable org-store-link-functions did not contain
> org-mairix-store-gnus-link.
>
> However when I loaded gnorb, org-store-link-functions
> *did* contain org-mairix-store-gnus-link.
>
> @Eric what do you say?
>
> I briefly scanned the code but cannot find why
> org-mairix-store-gnus-link is put into the list

Probably you've set `gnorb-gnus-mail-search-backend' to 'mairix. Then,
when you call `gnorb-bbdb-mail-search', that would result in a call to
`mairix-search', which I'm sure is autoloaded and will bring in the
whole package.

There's not much to be done about that: you can set
`gnorb-gnus-mail-search-backend' to nil (or a different backend) and
that will solve the problem, but if you ever try to use mairix, the same
thing will happen again.

Eric

* Re: "Which function for creating the link?
@ 2017-03-02 18:12         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2017-03-02 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>    > Try
>
>    >    emacs -q -l /path/to/minimal.el
>
> I am not sure what minimal.el is supposed to be, but
> emacs -q I might try.

It may be a no-op or it may be a few lines of code, depending on how
you get your org-mode. For me, building from latest master every so
often, it's basically this:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/emacs/org/org-mode/lisp")

(require 'org-loaddefs)
;; not sure why I require org separately, but I guess I needed it
;; at some point - I should try without it.
(require 'org)

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))

(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-cc" 'org-capture)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)

>    > I don't know why you are seeing it now, but I don't think anything
>    > has changed in the mairix space for years.
>
> Yes but there is a change proposed by John Kitchin which makes my suspicious
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2016-07/msg00047.html

I believe this was merged indeed and it may be that org-mairix.el was not updated
to follow the new convention: that may be the cause of the problem, but avoiding
the load of org-mairix should resolve it in any case.

--
Nick

* Re: "Which function for creating the link?
@ 2017-03-02 18:38           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-03-02 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

    > Probably you've set `gnorb-gnus-mail-search-backend' to 'mairix. Then,
    > when you call `gnorb-bbdb-mail-search', that would result in a call to
    > `mairix-search', which I'm sure is autoloaded and will bring in the
    > whole package.

No it is set to nil.
    > There's not much to be done about that: you can set
    > `gnorb-gnus-mail-search-backend' to nil (or a different backend) and
    > that will solve the problem, but if you ever try to use mairix, the same
    > thing will happen again.

It seems that part of the problem was caused that is still sticked with
org-mode 8.3.X I have deleted that version and installed 9.0.5 and at
the moment everything looks fine. I hope also the registry problem I
reported to you privately is solved. But I will know for sure in a
couple of days.

Uwe

* Re: "Which function for creating the link?
@ 2017-03-02 21:05             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-03-02 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>     > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>     > Probably you've set `gnorb-gnus-mail-search-backend' to 'mairix. Then,
>     > when you call `gnorb-bbdb-mail-search', that would result in a call to
>     > `mairix-search', which I'm sure is autoloaded and will bring in the
>     > whole package.
>
> No it is set to nil.
>     > There's not much to be done about that: you can set
>     > `gnorb-gnus-mail-search-backend' to nil (or a different backend) and
>     > that will solve the problem, but if you ever try to use mairix, the same
>     > thing will happen again.
>
> It seems that part of the problem was caused that is still sticked with
> org-mode 8.3.X I have deleted that version and installed 9.0.5 and at
> the moment everything looks fine. I hope also the registry problem I
> reported to you privately is solved. But I will know for sure in a
> couple of days.

Ah, that's good to know. You reported a few other good points -- I will
get to them!

Eric