* New CSS for orgmode and Worg ?
@ 2010-07-06 22:20 Bastien
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2010-07-06 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

the current CSS for orgmode.org and orgmode.org/Worg is nice: readable
and simple.  But I'm bugged by the feeling we can do better.

It would be super cool to celebrate the forthcoming 7.01 version of Org
with a brand new CSS. Maybe we can evaluate a few ones and decide which
one suits best the community until July, 18th...

Anyone with CSS expertise ready to take this challenge ?

Looking forward :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: New CSS for orgmode and Worg ?
@ 2010-07-06 22:24 ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2010-07-06 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'd be happy to Bastien!

— Greg

@ 2010-07-07  4:53 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-07-07  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 7, 2010, at 12:20 AM, Bastien wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the current CSS for orgmode.org and orgmode.org/Worg is nice: readable
> and simple.  But I'm bugged by the feeling we can do better.
>
> It would be super cool to celebrate the forthcoming 7.01 version of
> Org
> with a brand new CSS. Maybe we can evaluate a few ones and decide
> which
> one suits best the community until July, 18th...

Wow, great idea.  I am looking forward to seeing this!

> Anyone with CSS expertise ready to take this challenge ?
>
> Looking forward :)
>
> --
> Bastien

- Carsten

* Re: New CSS for orgmode and Worg ?
@ 2010-07-07 14:56 ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2010-07-07 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> the current CSS for orgmode.org and orgmode.org/Worg is nice: readable
> and simple.  But I'm bugged by the feeling we can do better.

What I'd like to see is something more aligned with the css for asciidoc
which makes for a very pleasant and readable experience.

Look for the css that is delivered with
http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/ or in the repository at
http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/browse/#hg/stylesheets

> Anyone with CSS expertise ready to take this challenge ?

Unfortunatelly my expertise is limited to trial and error when it comes
to css.

Thanks
Christian
--
Christian Egli

* Re: Re: New CSS for orgmode and Worg ?
@ 2010-07-08  7:56   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-07-08  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@sbszh.ch> writes:

> What I'd like to see is something more aligned with the css for asciidoc
> which makes for a very pleasant and readable experience.

Yes, the CSS behind asciidoc is neat.

> Unfortunatelly my expertise is limited to trial and error when it
> comes to css.

Trial and error will be very useful for suggested CSS.

My secret hope is to collect several CSS and to display screenshots of
them in Worg, so that users can pick up their favorite one for the HTML
export.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: New CSS for orgmode and Worg ?
@ 2010-07-08  8:28     ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2010-07-08  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Christian Egli, emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:56 AM, Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:

> Christian Egli <christian.egli@sbszh.ch> writes:
>
> > What I'd like to see is something more aligned with the css for asciidoc
> > which makes for a very pleasant and readable experience.
>
> Yes, the CSS behind asciidoc is neat.
>
> > Unfortunatelly my expertise is limited to trial and error when it
> > comes to css.
>
> Trial and error will be very useful for suggested CSS.
>
> My secret hope is to collect several CSS and to display screenshots of
> them in Worg, so that users can pick up their favorite one for the HTML
> export.

In my mind, I'd like to see a few different style sheets too in different
flavors (html, html5, etc) for different browser specs or covering all
browsers.

— Greg

* Re: Re: New CSS for orgmode and Worg ?
@ 2010-07-09 13:38       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-07-09 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: Christian Egli, emacs-orgmode, Bastien

Greg Newman <greg@20seven.org> writes:
> In my mind, I'd like to see a few different style sheets too in different
> flavors (html, html5, etc) for different browser specs or covering all
> browsers.

We would need different flavours of HTML export then.

  Sebastian

* Re: Re: New CSS for orgmode and Worg ?
@ 2010-07-09 16:29         ` Jonathan Arkell
From: Jonathan Arkell @ 2010-07-09 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose
  Cc: Christian Egli, Greg Newman, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Bastien

On Jul 9, 2010, at 7:38 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Greg Newman <greg@20seven.org> writes:
>> In my mind, I'd like to see a few different style sheets too in different
>> flavors (html, html5, etc) for different browser specs or covering all
>> browsers.
>

> We would need different flavours of HTML export then.
>

>  Sebastian

Not if everything was done correctly, check http://www.csszengarden.com/ for an example.

In fact, if you are careful about how you write your CSS and Markup, you could probably target chrome with all the css bells and whistles and Lynx in the same stylesheet!

I think Greg is referring more to CSS 3, rather then HTML 5.  But I could be wrong!

__________________________________

Jonathan Arkell
Tech Lead
Inspired By Drum & Bass, Scheme, Kawaii

p. 403.206.4377

402 -- 11th Ave SE
Calgary, AB, Canada T2G 0Y4

jonathana@criticalmass.com
criticalmass.com

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity named above or their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message.

* Re: Re: New CSS for orgmode and Worg ?
@ 2010-07-09 17:51           ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2010-07-09 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Arkell; +Cc: Christian Egli, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Bastien

You are correct about the CSS Johnathan.
I am referring to both.  HTML5's markup is so much simpler and cleaner, it
would be nice to utilize that as much as possible
and with the use of Modernizr it degrades HTML5 very nicely for older
browsers.

— Greg

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Jonathan Arkell <jonathana@criticalmass.com

@ 2010-07-12  9:59     ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2010-07-12  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> Christian Egli <christian.egli@sbszh.ch> writes:
>
>> What I'd like to see is something more aligned with the css for asciidoc
>> which makes for a very pleasant and readable experience.
>
> Yes, the CSS behind asciidoc is neat.
>
>> Unfortunatelly my expertise is limited to trial and error when it
>> comes to css.
>
> Trial and error will be very useful for suggested CSS.

Actually, come to think of it: I had totally forgotten that I once took
the css from org
(http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git/blob/HEAD:/ORGWEBPAGE/org.css) and
added some asciidoc styling to it. An example output can be seen at
http://www.daisyproducer.org/. It is in a "works for me" state, I think
I probably hard coded some assumptions I had on my side.

The css is attached.

If there is demand I could merge it with the original org.css or create
a patch.

Thanks
Christian

[-- Attachment #2: asciidoc css adapted for org mode --]
[-- Type: text/css, Size: 3828 bytes --]

@media all
{
body {
  margin: 1em 5% 1em 5%;
}

a {
  color: blue;
  text-decoration: underline;
}
a:visited {
  color: fuchsia;
}

em {
  font-style: italic;
  color: navy;
}

strong {
  font-weight: bold;
  color: #083194;
}

tt {
  color: navy;
}

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
  color: #527bbd;
  font-family: sans-serif;
  margin-top: 1.2em;
  margin-bottom: 0.5em;
  line-height: 1.3;
}

h1, h2, h3 {
  border-bottom: 2px solid silver;
}
h2 {
  padding-top: 0.5em;
}
h3 {
  float: left;
}
h3 + * {
  clear: left;
}

div.sectionbody {
  font-family: serif;
  margin-left: 0;
}

hr {
  border: 1px solid silver;
}

p {
  margin-top: 0.5em;
  margin-bottom: 0.5em;
}

ul, ol, li > p {
  margin-top: 0;
}

pre {
  padding: 0;
  margin: 0;
}

#table-of-contents {
    font-size: 85%;
    line-height: 1.4em;
}

#table-of-contents ul {
    list-style: none;
    margin: 7px 0px 7px 15px ;
    padding: 0px;
}

div.content { /* Block element content. */
  padding: 0;
}

dl {
  margin-top: 0.8em;
  margin-bottom: 0.8em;
}
dt {
  margin-top: 0.5em;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  font-style: normal;
  color: navy;
}
dd > *:first-child {
  margin-top: 0.1em;
}

ul, ol {
    list-style-position: outside;
}

table {
    border:3px solid #527bbd;
    border-left-style:none;
    border-right-style:none;
    margin-bottom:1.5em;
    margin-top:0.25em;
}
thead {
  font-family: sans-serif;
  font-weight: bold;
  border-bottom: 3px solid #527bbd;
}
tfoot {
  font-weight: bold;
}
th, td {
    border-bottom: 1px solid #527bbd;
}
tbody tr:hover {
    color: #527bbd;
}

code {font-size: 10pt;}

img {
    border: none;
}

.share img {
    opacity: .4;
    -moz-opacity: .4;
    filter: alpha(opacity=40);
}

.share img:hover {
    opacity: 1;
    -moz-opacity: 1;
    filter: alpha(opacity=100);
}

}  /* END OF @media all */

@media screen
{
  body {
	margin: 10px 6% 10px 180px;
	font-family: serif;
  }

  .logo-link {
    position: fixed;
    top: 10px;
    left: 30px;
  }

  #table-of-contents {
	position: fixed;
	display: block;
	left: 10px;
	width: 150px;
	min-height:60px;
	max-height:90%;
	overflow:auto;
  }

  #table-of-contents h2 {
	display:none;
  }

  /* These style are only for IE: */

  * html {
    overflow-y: hidden;
    padding-bottom:0px;
    margin:0px;
  }

  * html body {
    height: 100%;
    overflow-y: auto;
    font-size: 100%;
    margin: 0px 0px 0px 180px;
    padding: 0px 10% 0px 0px;
  }

  * html #table-of-contents {
    position: absolute;
    width:150px;
  }

  * html h1 {
    margin-top:10px;
  }

  * html .logo-link {
    position: absolute;
    top: 10px;
    left: 30px;
  }

}  /* END OF @media screen */

/* Printing */

@page
{
	margin-top:3cm;
    margin-bottom:2.5cm;
}

@page :left
{
  margin-left:1.5cm;
  margin-right:2cm;
}

@page :right
{
  margin-left:2cm;
  margin-right:1.5cm;
}

@media print
{
  body {
	margin:0px;
	font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
  }

  div {
    orphans:2;
  }

  p {
    orphans:2;
  }

  li {
    orphans:2;
  }

  .logo-link {
    top: 10px;
    left: 30px;
  }

  #table-of-contents h2 {
    margin-top:1.5cm;
    page-break-before:auto;
    border-style:none;
  }

  #text-table-of-contents {
    width:50%;
    margin-top:1cm;
    margin-left:0cm;
    margin-right:auto;
    text-align:left;
  }

  #table-of-contents ul {
    text-align:left;
  }

  h2 {
    /* page-break-before:always; */
  }

  pre {
    page-break-inside:avoid;
  }

  /* Hide all org-info.js stuff for printing: */

  div#org-info-js_console-container {
    display:none;
  }

  div.org-info-js_local-toc {
    display:none;
  }

  table.org-info-js_info-navigation {
    display:none;
  }
  div.org-info-js_header-navigation {
    display:none;
    visibility:hidden; /* needed to overwrite the hardcoded style setting... */
  }

}  /* END OF @media print */

Christian Egli

* Re: New CSS for orgmode and Worg ?
@ 2010-07-12 19:58       ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-07-12 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Bastien

While I remember, I have a CSS request: it would be nice if src code
blocks (and similar elements) could be formatted within a box which is
big enough to contain the code without wrapping, but does not
necessarily stretch all the way to the right margin. I don't know
anything about CSS I'm afraid; I hope that's feasible.

Thanks,

Dan

@ 2010-07-12 20:10         ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2010-07-12 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Christian Egli, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Bastien

Adding to my list Dan. Any other requests let me know.

-- Greg

@ 2010-09-21  9:27       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-21  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christian,

thanks for the css.

I've added the asciidoc-like css you propose to Worg as an alternate
stylesheet - people can switch to it on their browsers: Menu -> View
-> Page Style -> NextWorg.

If other Worgers want to add new stylesheets to Worg, please feel free
to do so!  Only remember the css must be compatible with the org-infojs
display...  which shouldn't be to hard to achieve.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: New CSS for orgmode and Worg ?
@ 2010-09-21  9:28         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-21  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode