* Slow usage of capture templates
@ 2017-01-04  8:51 Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2017-01-04  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi all

I'm on Windows 10 with Cygwin-X and running Emacs 25.1.1 installed with
Cygwin installer. Org-mode version is 9.0 installed from Elpa.

I am experiencing very slow usage of my capture templates. When I hit C-c c
my different templates show up but when I select one of them nothing
happens for a long time then after 30-60 seconds it suddenly works as
usual. This happens every time regardless of which template I select.

When I start emacs without X, i.e. with the -nw flag, my capture templates
works fast as usual.

Does anyone know what I need to do?

BR / Johan

* Re: Slow usage of capture templates
@ 2017-01-04 15:35 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2017-01-04 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Johan Ekh <ekh.johan@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all
>
> I'm on Windows 10 with Cygwin-X and running Emacs 25.1.1 installed with Cygwin installer. Org-mode version is 9.0 installed from Elpa.
>
> I am experiencing very slow usage of my capture templates. When I hit C-c c my different templates show up but when I select one of them nothing happens for a long time then after 30-60
> seconds it suddenly works as usual. This happens every time regardless of which template I select.
>
> When I start emacs without X, i.e. with the -nw flag, my capture templates works fast as usual.
>
> Does anyone know what I need to do?
>
> BR / Johan

First step is to probably profile org and see where time is spent:

M-x elp-instrument package RET org RET
... then try a capture ...
M-x elp-results

Second step is to bring up a terminal and run htop in it, then try a capture and see if
some process (maybe emacs, maybe something else) jumps up in CPU usage.

Also try with a minimal org file and no other customizations: it may be that something
in your configuration causes it (unless others can see the same slowness on similar systems).

This kind of problem may take a long time to debug, so it's important not to get discouraged.

--
Nick

* Re: Slow usage of capture templates
@ 2017-08-02  6:36   ` Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2017-08-02  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi again, I tried with elp-instrument-package, see the results below. Seems
like function "org-get-x-clipboard" is taking a long time. CPU usage is
100% for the process "emacs-X11" during this time.

Does anyone have a clue what I should do?

BR / Johan

[image: Inline image 1]

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Johan Ekh <ekh.johan@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I'm on Windows 10 with Cygwin-X and running Emacs 25.1.1 installed with
> Cygwin installer. Org-mode version is 9.0 installed from Elpa.
> >
> > I am experiencing very slow usage of my capture templates. When I hit
> C-c c my different templates show up but when I select one of them nothing
> happens for a long time then after 30-60
> > seconds it suddenly works as usual. This happens every time regardless
> of which template I select.
> >
> > When I start emacs without X, i.e. with the -nw flag, my capture
> templates works fast as usual.
> >
> > Does anyone know what I need to do?
> >
> > BR / Johan
> >

> First step is to probably profile org and see where time is spent:
>
> M-x elp-instrument package RET org RET
> ... then try a capture ...
> M-x elp-results
>
> Second step is to bring up a terminal and run htop in it, then try a
> capture and see if
> some process (maybe emacs, maybe something else) jumps up in CPU usage.
>
> Also try with a minimal org file and no other customizations: it may be
> that something
> in your configuration causes it (unless others can see the same slowness
> on similar systems).
>
> This kind of problem may take a long time to debug, so it's important not
> to get discouraged.
>
> --
> Nick

[-- Attachment #2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 25426 bytes --]

* Re: Slow usage of capture templates
@ 2017-08-02  6:51     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-08-02  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Ekh; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

Johan Ekh <ekh.johan@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi again, I tried with elp-instrument-package, see the results below. Seems
> like function "org-get-x-clipboard" is taking a long time. CPU usage is
> 100% for the process "emacs-X11" during this time.

I also encountered this problem (even though I do not use Windows). It
disappeared when I switched to Emacs 25.2.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Slow usage of capture templates
@ 2017-08-02  7:10       ` Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2017-08-02  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi, thanks,
but I have 25.2.1 so that will not solve it for me. I'm using several
platforms, including Linux, Windows and Cygwin. Only seen this problem n
Cygwin, which of course is the platform I need to use at work...

@ 2017-08-02 10:26         ` Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2017-08-02 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi again,
I googled and found this.

(setq
  x-select-enable-clipboard nil
  x-select-enable-primary t)

It improves the situation but capture is still painfully slow.

Any ideas? / Johan

@ 2017-08-02 10:55           ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2017-08-02 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This isn't much help, but the best suggestion I have is to try the
non-Cygwin, native Windows build.  I use the Cygwin build myself, but it
is inherently slow compared to Linux builds for some reason.  It takes
probably 10-20 times as long to startup, and everything I do it in it is
slow compared to in Linux.  Maybe the native Windows build will perform
better.

* Re: Slow usage of capture templates
@ 2017-08-02 13:32             ` Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2017-08-02 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks Adam

I've tried the native windows version and it does not have this problem.
But I'm an old school Linux user that is forced to use windows at work.
I've managed to set up Cygwin and it works quite well, in fact I think
Emacs is working very well except for the issue in this post. Not slow.
Thanks anyway. / Johan

@ 2017-08-02 22:12               ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2017-08-02 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Ekh; +Cc: Adam Porter, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Probably no real help, but win10 is (or soon will be) bundling in bash
shell, which may address many of the reasons to use Cygwin. From posts
I've seen on a number of lists, I would not be surprised to see cygwin
slowly decline into obscurity. I see little interest in the emacs devel
list for cygwin since the native windows version has matured (and it has
been suggested, is the largest emacs user base).

Having bash, a native emacs and even a 'better' system shell in
powershell (better than bat scripts and VB that is), at some point, you
will likely have to switch and I can say, it is much less distasteful
than it was (I've been using Linux since 1993 and Emacs since 97 and am
also forced to run windows at work).

Alternatively, do what I actually do - run vmware and Linux as a
virtual - technically, I'm running the work SOE and within policy! When
I absolutely have to do things in windows, I use native Emacs and a
small amount of powershell, but plan to use the bash shell once I find
time to sort it all out.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Slow usage of capture templates
@ 2017-08-07  7:36                 ` Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2017-08-07  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: Adam Porter, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks Tim! I didn't know about this. Ive installed it and it seems to work
very nice! I will continue to test it and maybe scrap both vmware (been
using for 10+ years) and cygwin. Thanks alot!

Johan

@ 2017-08-07  8:00                 ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2017-08-07  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: Adam Porter, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> Probably no real help, but win10 is (or soon will be) bundling in bash
> shell, which may address many of the reasons to use Cygwin. From posts
> I've seen on a number of lists, I would not be surprised to see cygwin
> slowly decline into obscurity. I see little interest in the emacs devel
> list for cygwin since the native windows version has matured (and it has
> been suggested, is the largest emacs user base).
>
> I am a Windows user (very long time) and Cygwin has never been an option
to me.
Native Emacs works pretty well under Windows.
There is only one drawback: it is slow (slower than linux) at running
external processes and some emacs packages do that pretty heavily
(ivy/counsel, flycheck).
I have seen reports of slower startup times with the native Windows emacs
than with Linux, however I have not
been able to reproduce them (for example using helm default config or
spacemacs config).

Depending on wheter you use a 32 bits emacs or a 64 bits emacs, you may
want to add
32 bits Gnu utilities (https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/)
or 64 bits Gnu utilities (http://www.msys2.org/, provides a much better
environment than Cygwin in my opinion)

Or you may want to try the new WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux, as
described by Tim)
which provides a full Ubuntu distribution without the penalty for running
external processes,
and without the penalty of running a VM.
WSL is pretty impressive and emacs works pretty well once you get a good X
server (like MobaXTerm).

Fabrice

* Re: Slow usage of capture templates
@ 2017-08-07  9:20                   ` Johan Ekh