* There can only be one item with priority 1?
@ 2014-01-30 13:49 Fredrik
From: Fredrik @ 2014-01-30 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When I think about priority I want to see if one item is more
prioritized then another. So if I have a list like this:

* TODO Not important
* TODO Really important
* TODO Kind of import

So setting in the priority would look like this :

* TODO 3 Not important
* TODO 1 Really important
* TODO 2 Kind of import

And adding a new item that is more important then kind of important
would look like this :

* TODO 4 Not important
* TODO 1 Really important
* TODO 2 More important then kind of important
* TODO 3 Kind of import

So is there any such functionality for handling priorities the anyone
knows of? I know there is the ABC but that doesn't support what I shown
here where I add an item in the middle of the list changes the priority
of everything below it?

Regards,

Fredrik

* Re: There can only be one item with priority 1?
@ 2014-01-30 15:51 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-01-30 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Fredrik <fredrik@jumans.net> writes:

> When I think about priority I want to see if one item is more
> prioritized then another. So if I have a list like this:
>
> * TODO Not important
> * TODO Really important
> * TODO Kind of import
>
> So setting in the priority would look like this :
>
> * TODO 3 Not important
> * TODO 1 Really important
> * TODO 2 Kind of import
>
> And adding a new item that is more important then kind of important
> would look like this :
>
> * TODO 4 Not important
> * TODO 1 Really important
> * TODO 2 More important then kind of important
> * TODO 3 Kind of import
>
> So is there any such functionality for handling priorities the anyone
> knows of? I know there is the ABC but that doesn't support what I
> shown here where I add an item in the middle of the list changes the
> priority of everything below it?

Why not use ABC and differentiate with tags, e.g.:

* TODO [#C] Not important :low:
* TODO [#A] Really important
* TODO [#B] More important then kind of important
* TODO [#C] Kind of import :medium:

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: There can only be one item with priority 1?
@ 2014-01-30 15:54   ` Fredrik
From: Fredrik @ 2014-01-30 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

That would be an idea and I have tried it but when adding a new item in
the list I manually need to change the priority for all the rest which
is too much work

Regards,

Fredrik

@ 2014-01-30 16:17     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-01-30 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Fredrik <fredrik@jumans.net> writes:

> That would be an idea and I have tried it but when adding a new item
> in the list I manually need to change the priority for all the rest
> which is too much work

How many categories do you need?
Using ABC with :low: :medium: :high: tags or so you got already 3x3
categories - isn't that already overkill?

You seem to want a kind of ordinal relationship between your tasks, not
really groups of tasks with similar importance.

You could use

* [#A] My A Tasks
** Subtask
** Subtask
** Subtask
* [#B] My B Tasks
** Subtask
** Subtask
** Subtask
* [#C] My C Tasks
** Subtask
** Subtask
** Subtask

and let the textual order of the subtasks determine their priority:
most important on top, least important at the bottom.

Then insert a new task where you think it fits ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: There can only be one item with priority 1?
@ 2014-01-30 16:28 ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2014-01-30 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

El Thu, 30 Jan 2014 14:49:59 +0100 Fredrik va escriure:
> I know there is the ABC but that doesn't support what I shown here where I add
> an item in the middle of the list changes the priority of everything below it?

  If you consider section order as priority, then you already have it: when you insert a section in the middle, all the ones below are of lower priority, without you having to change anything else.
  Use M-up and M-down to reorder sections.

  You can use the sorting order only when you have many [#A] or [#B] or [#C] of the same type together.

  You could also use [#A] [#B] [#C] [#D] [#E], but I think 3 groups is enough.